The City of Maplewood is currently accepting applications for the position of Accounting/Front Desk Clerk. This is a full time non-exempt position which includes a full range of benefits including paid vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, employee health, dental, life and disability.
POSITION TITLE: Accounting/Front Desk Clerk
SUPERVISOR(S): City Manager, Assistant City Manager, Finance Director
LOCATION: Front Office, Maplewood City Hall
SALARY RANGE: $29,808 - $41,708 DOQ
Performs detailed bookkeeping and clerical tasks in the process of accounting transactions and in the preparation and maintenance of related reports and records. Responsible for data entry of all city purchases, accounts receivable and payable, typing and clerical duties of average difficulty, maintenance of all purchasing records, and composition of journal entries. Requires attention to detail and the ability to think through a problem to determine a reasonable solution. Ability to use tact and diplomacy when interacting with customers/citizens. Duties include assisting with front counter, answering telephone, greeting visitors, maintaining files and other duties as assigned. High level of confidentiality.
Essential Job Functions:
- Enters purchasing and budget data for all departments.
- Maintains records and files for all purchases.
- Responsible for daily bank deposits and associated bookkeeping.
- Composes journal entries.
- Performs periodic review of general ledger for accuracy.
- Maintains capital asset listing.
- Assists citizens with permits, forms, applications, taking court fines and answering general information.
- Answers the telephone and routes calls.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes mail and other correspondence.
- Prepares payroll and other checks for payment of city obligations in the absence of the Finance Director.
- Maintains filing systems within the front office.
- Assists other administrative staff as required.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Processes mail for the City.
- Prepares meeting minutes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have working knowledge of basic bookkeeping and general ledger accounting. Knowledge of budgeting and accounting systems. Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word. Ability to maintain accurate and complete records of great complexity. Working knowledge of modern government budget practices, procedures and equipment. Knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation and commercial arithmetic. Knowledge of policies, regulations, procedures and functions of City Hall’s front office and all business conducted from there. Ability to communicate effectively with administrative staff, fellow employees and the general public.
Equipment Used to Perform the Job:
- Personal Computer
- Mailing Machine
- Copy Machine
- Fax Machine
- Telephone system
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
Requires graduation from a general or technical high school or equivalent. Requires two years of previous clerical and accounting experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
I have read and understand the essential functions of the job for which I am applying. I can meet these requirements with or without reasonable accommodations.
Complete a City of Maplewood Application for Employment. Paper applications are available at the City Hall front desk. Completed applications should be forwarded to:
City of Maplewood
7601 Manchester Road
Maplewood, MO 63143
Attn: Karen Dilber, Finance Director
The position will remain open until filled.