Most fire fatalities occur in the middle of the night, usually while people are asleep. Elderly
residents are especially at risk, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency's U.S.Fire Administration
The following are fire safety tips to remember:
- Install a smoke detector on each level of your home.
- Do not disable a smoke detector when it sounds off.
- Know what to do after a detector sounds off.
- Plan a home escape route in the event of a fire.
- Smoke detectors should be tested at least once a month.
- The batteries should be replaced at least twice a year when you change your clocks.