We will customize a timeline based to help meet your needs. The first place to start is with the City Clerk, please call (314) 646-3604. The City Clerk will assist you with your business license application and arrange for the Building Official to inspect your premises.
The City of Maplewood does not handle plumbing or electric permits, please contact St. Louis County for assistance: (314) 615-5184.
Depending on the type of business you have, you may need a conditional permit and or a liquor license, the staff will assist you with those items, too.
Here are link to pages that you may need during the process:
Design & Review Board
Plan & Zoning Commission
All of the application materials you will need are posted on our website except for the Business License application. Please call the City Clerk to set-up an appointment for this item.
Items you will need for the business license application, please bring these to the meeting with the City Clerk:
1. A photo ID
2. Business Address
3. Emergency Contact Information
4. Missouri State Sales Tax Information. One of the following will be required: A copy of Missouri sales tax I.D.; OR if applicable, Missouri Certificate of No Tax Due; OR verification of registration.
Conditional Use Permit (CUP)
Application fee: $100
Public Hearing fee: $330
- CUP application should be turned in to City Hall five working days prior to the 1st Monday of the month to be included on the Plan & Zoning Commission meeting Agenda.
- CUP takes two meetings of the City Council for approval, with the public hearing held at the 2nd meeting.
Application fee: varies (amount depends on type of license applied for – example…Full liquor license is $450; Sunday liquor license is $300)
Public Hearing fee: $315
- Liquor License application should be turned in at least 15 days prior to the City Council meeting for a public hearing to be held.
- Approval by the City Council takes one meeting, with a motion by the City Council.
Service business (non-retail) – fee is based on square feet of the space occupied with a $75 minimum fee.
Merchant license (retail) – fee is $1.00 per $1,000 of gross receipts with a $75 minimum fee.
A safety inspection of the premises by the Fire Marshall is required before opening.
There is a fee for the sign permit: Cost is a minimum of $5.00 and $00.50 per square feet. Signs are approved by Design & Review Board and cannot be erected until approved.