Identity Theft

How to Manage Identity Theft

Call the Federal Trade Commission Identity Theft Hotline (1-877-438-4338) or contact them
on the web at WWW.CONSUMER.GOV to fill out an Identity Theft Complaint.

This enters your case in the FTC’s Consumer Sentinel database, a nationwide list of ID theft
cases which can be used by Law Enforcement officers to find patterns and catch criminals.

In the event you are a victim of Identity Theft you will need to determine what jurisdiction your identity was used in to file a formal police report.

In the event your identity was used out of state or in a jurisdiction more than 50 miles, and you are a Maplewood resident, you can file a a complaint in person by visiting the Maplewood Police Department located at 7601 Manchester Rd. Maplewood, Missouri 63143.

You should also notify all of the major credit bureaus immediately and ask that your file be flagged with a “Fraud Alert” and complete a victim statement.

Insist that the fraud alert remain in place for seven (7) years.

Also request a copy of your credit report. When it arrives in the mail, take the time to look it over and make them aware of any fraudulent accounts appearing on your report. Each credit bureau will send you a FREE copy of your credit report once a year.

Experian: 1-888-397-3742 OR

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285 OR

Transunion: 1-800-680-7289 OR

S.S.A. Fraud Hotline: 1-800-269-0271 OR

If your checks or credit cards were taken:
Notify your bank or credit card company and have them change your account number. Call the
credit reporting bureaus and place a fraud alert. This is extremely important if any form of your identification was taken.

If your Social Security Card has been taken:
Call the Social Security Administration FRAUD HOTLINE to notify them and request a duplicate card.

Also contact the credit reporting bureaus to make sure no fraudulent accounts are being opened.

Here are other websites that you may find helpful: